Trellis Privacy Statement
UArizona Trellis Privacy Statement
Trellis is the University of Arizona's (“UArizona”) Constituent Relationship Management (“CRM”) program created to optimize relationships through technology and data integration. It is a platform used to manage interactions between a variety of User types (students, staff, faculty, alumni, donors, external partners, community members (including K-12 students), and prospective UArizona students (“Users”)) and UArizona through contexts including service, engagement and communication. By bringing information and data together in a single, comprehensive view for every User, UArizona can provide more meaningful and personalized interactions.
UArizona is committed to protecting the personal information of all Users and being transparent about the information Trellis holds. This Privacy Statement describes the collection, processing, use, disclosure, and storage (“Processing”) of User information. When you use Trellis’ functionality, submit information through UArizona information systems, or visit our websites and use other services, your information will be handled as described here.
Information Trellis Collects from Users and How We Use It:
Personally identifiable information (“PII”) can be generated from both active and passive use of Trellis which generates records within Trellis. Trellis Users may use their UArizona NetID, Social accounts, or name/email to interact with the various products in the Trellis platform (Scheduling, Cases, Events, Campaigns, Forms, etc.). These products both use and generate PII.
Some additional examples of information Processing include:
- Appointment management, including uploading associated documents or notes;
- RSVP for events, including responses to any event-related questions or any guests added;
- Email, form, or chat interactions with service units (e.g., Registrar, Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, advisors);
- Creation of case notes by staff during service interactions with you;
- Progress reports generated by faculty and shared with you;
- Requests and associated details of forms like Late Change of Schedule;
- Receipt and opening/click-through of Trellis communications;
- Navigation and use of Trellis (e.g., cookies); and
- Preferences for interactions with Trellis (e.g., management of email list subscriptions, event interests, texting opt-in/out, etc.).
Integrations with Other Data and Application Systems
Integrations serve a few purposes: (i) to provide specific contextual information for Users (e.g., only students in Anthropology can schedule with an Anthropology advisor), and (ii) to provide data to our institutional business intelligence/analytics. Integrations with UArizona systems include, but are not limited to: Peoplesoft (UAccess), D2L (learning management system), Slate (recruitment CRM) and UArizona’s institutional data warehouse. These integrations can be bidirectional, (e.g., we both consume data from the data warehouse in Trellis and we also send Trellis data to the data warehouse for campus reporting. Data include, but are not limited to:
- Biographical and demographic data;
- Institutional role;
- Enrollment data (students); and
- Dates and content of Trellis hosted interactions.
Use of Information You Provide
Trellis uses your data to provide services and support, including (i) to analyze and improve our processes, (ii) for outreach efforts, (iii) to fulfill other UArizona responsibilities or purposes, and (iv) to provide services to you.
We may use the PII you provide, for limited and specific purposes, including to:
- Deliver Trellis functionality for Users (e.g., history of appointments to support a scheduled appointment conversation or responses to individual needs for a particular event);
- Provide personalized user experiences with Trellis applications by collecting and analyzing usage;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages related to Trellis;
- Provide UArizona staff with recommendations to improve services offered to you (e.g., strategic partnering opportunities or student retention opportunities);
- Communicate with you about news and information we think will be of interest to you related to activities managed within Trellis (e.g., recommendations for events, groups or news through websites and emails);
- Provide UArizona leadership, colleges, departments or units with participation and interaction data for reporting purposes and to inform other campus engagement efforts;
- Respond to a request for information when required and/or permitted by applicable law, regulation or legal process;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our User agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of UArizona, its employees, students or others; and
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service.
We may use aggregate, de-identified information for multiple purposes, including to:
- Contribute to the data collection and reporting related to UArizona business;
- Provide, maintain, and improve user experience and outcomes from Trellis products;
- Monitor and analyze Trellis trends, usage, and activities independently and in connection with other systems involved with UArizona’s engagement activities; and
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service.
Who Has Access to Your Information
We will only share or disclose your personal information as described below or as required or permitted by law.
Your Data Will be Visible as Follows:
- You will see the status of your active cases, upcoming appointments and events, and other time-based UArizona functions (e.g., meal swipes, D2L assignments, grades, library books, bookstore items, outstanding actions affecting a status like enrollment, etc.)
- UArizona staff will view and manage information resulting from interactions like scheduled appointments, service interactions, event participation, and email and text communications;
- UArizona leadership, colleges, departments and units may view summary reports of interaction data appropriate to their organization; and
- Trellis and University Information Technology Services personnel supporting Trellis will be able to view system-level details appropriate to efforts like data integration, technical support, or application development.
How We Protect Your Information
Trellis subscribes to UArizona’s privacy and security policies and standards to ensure the security and integrity of your data.
We maintain technical, physical, and administrative safeguards to protect the security, integrity, and privacy of your personal data, including the following practices:
- Storing information that we collect on computer systems located in controlled facilities with limited access;
- Protecting the transmission of your information over the Internet, using encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol;
- Using a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosures; and
- Limiting access to data to only authorized personnel.
UArizona leadership, colleges, departments and units are informed of their obligation to maintain the confidentiality of your information.
UArizona endeavors to protect the privacy of the personal information we hold in our records, but we cannot guarantee complete security. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of your personal information. UArizona’s Information Security Policy ISO-600 addresses Information Security Incident Reporting and Response requirements.
Related privacy and security policies may be found via the following links:
- Privacy at the University of Arizona
- Privacy Policies and Guidelines
- Information Security Policy and Guidance
Your Ability to Request Data Deletion
You have the ability to request that your data be deleted from Trellis (firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that this will directly impact your experiences, including your ability to make appointments, use online systems for locating and scheduling interactions with service units on campus, to RSVP and check into events, and to receive transactional and commercial emails and texts sent from UArizona. In response to a request for deletion, your contact information and all associated records will be deleted from our production system, with a subsequent 1-month timeline for removal from our related test environments.
Requests for your data to be deleted from Trellis has upstream and downstream system implications. Upstream systems feed data into Trellis, while downstream systems take in data generated in Trellis. Upon request for deletion, the Trellis team will share contact information with you for any downstream systems, which will require that you make separate requests directly to those system owners; to be deleted from upstream systems, please contact the UArizona Privacy Office directly at email@example.com.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement will be updated periodically to reflect any material changes in the Trellis strategy and practices. These changes will be evident by inserting a new “Effective Date” (see below) and is effective when it is posted to this website. Treatment of information we collect now is subject to the version in effect at the time such information is used.
If you have any general questions about how your personal information is used as part of the Trellis strategy or for compliance reporting, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This statement is effective as of 02/01/2022.